Ko Te Parihi o Hato Mere
Pukekaraka Marae, Ōtaki
In the mid 1840's the Roman Catholic Church represented by the Marists were welcomed to join Ngāti Kapu in Ōtaki. Ngāti Kapu made land available at Pukekaraka for the Catholic Mission in 1851. So Ngāti Kapu, responding to the Word of God, shared the use of its land, erected buildings, practised the Faith, and welcomed others to its whenua Pukekaraka.
Ngāti Kapu covenanted to share these lands in perpetuity for the practice of the Faith, and to be instrumental for nurturing the special character of things catholic through Church and education of the young.
He Kawenata (Covenant) expresses the special Relationship between Ngāti Kapu and the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Wellington. It outlines the mutual Responsibilities those parties have. It renews the Kawenata first made in 1844 and remains a vital part of parish life.